Council inquiry after parking warden attacked in Wgtn

Wellington City Council will be holding an internal inquiry after one of its parking wardens was assaulted on Friday.

Photo: RNZ / Edward O‘Driscoll

The warden was knocked out by a member of the public on Friday and left with a fractured eye socket and broken nose.

He was taken to hospital and had facial reconstruction surgery this weekend, but was recovering.

Police arrested a 39-year-old man for the attack and charged him with wounding with intent to injure.

Wellington City Council said it would be notifying Worksafe of the incident, but it would be up to them whether they chose to investigate.

The council‘s acting chief executive Kane Patena said it had been meeting with wardens to make sure they felt supported.

“We‘re always looking at ways that we can improve that safety systems that we have for our staff, that‘s why we introduced cameras last year and I‘m sure there‘s things we can do to make further improvements,” he said.

The warden was wearing a camera at the time of the attack, but there wasn‘t enough time for him to activate it, because he was assaulted as he was walking away.

Mr Patena said thankfully the warden‘s surgery went well over the weekend and he was set to make a full recovery.

It was a huge relief that someone had been apprehended over the assault, Mr Patena said.

“I think it will provide some comfort to the warden who was attacked and also the other parking wardens within Wellington City Council.”